Hannah's Commercial

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Uni Maki - Won't be making that mistake again!

OK, so at this point we are of the mindset that "American" food is over-rated. We had our "Outback" and then had our favorite, Indian food. In the meantime, Kurt and I have been touring the sushi places here in North Little Rock. So one night, we went to one of our favorite places and sat at the sushi bar. Keep in mind that the kids eat sushi rolls too, Sarah eats a whole roll of "Spicy tuna" by herself and Ty and Hannah always have "California roll" or "Crunchy Shrimp" (tempura battered). So we ordered a ton of different rolls and some regular sushi (which is just the fish layed on top of a rice ball) like white tuna and yellowfin (both awesome). We have had eel and octopus before, but were considering something new in our adventurous state of mind. We asked the chef about Sea Urchin or "Uni." He said it tasted "like the sea," not a plus for me! Then he said "It also tastes like French pate' - yet another strike for sea urchin so we obviously didn't order it. Towards the end of dinner, the chef (who was Korean and thought it was funny that I could say some things in Korean), presented us with two rolls of sea urchin on the house. Uh, ok, what do you say when you are presented with a gift that is also considered a delicacy. So Kurt, with absolutely no shame said, "you first." I fixed his wagon...I promtly stuffed the whole thing in my mouth. He looked at me expectantly and my eyes went wide and I nodded profusely, so he stuffed the whole thing in his mouth. HA to him! As he was attempting to choke it down without throwing up, I got mine finished. Well, all I have to say is that those of you who won't eat sushi because of the experience you think it will be...if you eat sea urchin, it will be that experience! For those of you who trust that I only like "good" food, try a piece of white tuna sushi some day, you will be pleasantly surprised! Lets also say that I will not be making friends with Japanese sushi chefs who want to feed me delicacies!

1 comment:

Alisha Joy said...

My kids love sushi too. People about fall off their chairs when the see the boys devouring roll after roll. River LOVES the fish eggs especially. But we've never tried sea urchin and I don't think we ever will. Thank for the warning.

Christmas 08